Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Some interesting science links

It's been a long time since I blogged. It's been pretty busy at home.

Finally, this morning I sat down with a cup of coffee and read some cool science articles.

Milky Seas
This is a video with a transcript (in case you can't watch the video) about nearly a zillion bacteria that create bio-luminescent displays in the Indian Ocean. Very interesting. I'd love to see actual footage of this. They do have a satellite photo of a huge mass of bacteria. Yes, zillions and zillions.

Antibiotic Bacteria Cultivated by Insect
The European Beewolf, a solitary wasp, cultivates an antibiotic producing bacteria in its antennae that it uses to "inoculate" its young against infection. I saw another interesting application of antibiotic use in ants. The awesome film, Ants! Nature's Secret Power, shows ants collecting tree resin which they use around the entrance to their nests. As ants pass over the pieces of resin, they are disinfected. The resin kills many harmful bacteria that the ants would otherwise be bringing into the nest.

I'd like to share more... maybe in another post. My son's awake now and coffee time is over! ;)

No comments: