Saturday, March 24, 2007

Doubt and Belief


Obviously, my favorite author of all time is Oscar Wilde. I remember the first time I saw him. There was a picture of him on the pink spine of a thick book. He looked familiar! I needed to know more about him after I saw that picture. Turned out that Oscar is Irish and I have Irish ancestors. Many of his features I could pick out in relatives of mine--the long nose, the sleepy eyes.

I read everything I could about him and by him. His paradoxes intrigued me. His idea that life imitates art and that art should be useless---well, these were new, interesting ideas to me.

Now, I've run across a new Oscar Wilde quote that I think is very interesting.

"To believe is very dull. To doubt is intensely engrossing. To be on the alert is to live, to be lulled into security is to die." Source

I love this quote. Oscar was always challenging the status quo of Victorian England. I would love to hear him speak of the world today. Could you imagine what Oscar Wilde might say about US politics and Hollywood? I wish I could imagine it. I wish I could see his brilliance live on in the world today.

No comments: