Monday, March 05, 2007

Always Skeptical... but maybe not

Recently, I read this great post at another blog, Autism Diva. Her posts are always very interesting and thought provoking for me. A young boy identified as "D" who is 9 years old and communicates through a keyboard made a video you can see in the post. The things that D says are simply amazing and really touching. In fact, that's downplaying it a lot. They're beautiful.

But the skeptic part of me kept thinking there's no way a nine year old boy could have written these things! Then I started thinking about other youngsters who have done amazing things. Mozart wrote his first composition before the age of 5. Picasso was a gifted artist from a young age. His first word was "pencil."

If we can accept genius in other areas, such as music or art, why not with language?

This reminds me of another blogger, Possummomma, who has a blog called Atheist in a Mini Van. Recently, she shared some of her own daughter's writing. Immediately, people accused her of faking her daughter's writing because it was just so good.

Why can't we accept incredible language skills in children? Why did I have this nagging doubt about D's skills when I saw what he wrote?

I have to run, but here's an interesting link about child prodigy writers. It's short, so give it a read.

No comments: